Wednesday 23 September 2015

Unchained dirge!

'A little self-deprecation does you good' someone once said. Can't remember who - actually I think it was me! Anyway, this is the tale of a recent night out with my mates which I was reminded of by this week's words at 3 Word Wednesday which are righteous, pathetic and sedate


“Oh my love, my darling, I’ve hungered for your touch....” he drones, looking straight at me from behind the mike stand. ‘Well, looks like you are going to starve mate’ I think to myself.

Quite why my friends and I go to karaoke nights at the Bicycle Arms I don’t know. The only performer that ever stands on the upturned beer crate and sings beautifully is me, and I don’t do that often because I feel guilty about showing the other would-be singers up.

"Time goes by so slowly...." he moans. Too right pal! The Righteous Brothers will be turning in their graves hearing this pathetic rendition of their gorgeous song, well two of them anyway, I think one's still going strong.

Last time I sang, I reduced my audience to tears – and they laughed at the same time, which was a bit odd. The time before, I sang a soothing song at a sedate pace and several of my admirers sat with closed eyes, soaking up my beautiful tones. When I finished, there was a stunned silence, only broken by my mate Jack’s gentle snoring.

He's still going. “Lonely rivers flow, to the sea, to the sea....” I feel like offering to lend him my water wings so he can swim off straight away!

Phew, he's finished at last. I wonder who will be next?

Rosey shouts the landlord.

Ro-sey, Ro-sey, Ro-sey the crowd roars. 

Oh well, if you insist!” I say to my adoring fans, as my so-called best friends rush for the door.






8 comments:

  1. isn't it wonderful to be adored so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Sheilagh, but I try not to let it go to my head!

      Delete
  2. Clever, entertaining - well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. his tale may be, but many would beg to differ when it comes to my performance. I can't think why.

      Delete
  3. Rosey - you never send me to sleep or reduce me to tears of sorrow - you are a star - a superstar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute one. Some people just don't appreciate talent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is an unusual talent that reduces an audience to snoring on a karioke night. It is good to be the best at something:)

    ReplyDelete