Monday 6 April 2015

The things I used to wear!

Magpie Tales here I come!









Look at the way they are dressed!  Ha ha! That pickie was probably snapped ages ago but I have to confess that (and please don’t laugh!) I had to dress in something very similar in the eighties  at my boarding school in Brighton whenever we had formal outings to art galleries and the opera and things! Seriously, I did!

If you think that’s funny you should have seen our uniform!  Embarrassing or what? Our winter get-up was made from something called serge! Serge, what a funny name! It was charcoal grey and made us look like walking sacks of coal!

As for our summer uniform, it was made from that checked material; gingham is it? Yes gingham. The skirt was like a parachute especially when it was windy! Oh gosh, the more I’m thinking about the worse it’s getting.

We used to have to polish our shoes until we could almost see our reflections in them. I had to have my long hair in two plats with little ribbony bows at the bottom!

And for PE, hockey and lacrosse I wore baggy navy blue shorts, although shorts was hardly an appropriate description! You could have hidden a ferret down them! Which reminds me, my friend’s brother kept a ferret down his trousers when he was a boy. I remember he got bitten ‘down there’ once. I wonder if he ever had children.

To look at the children in my class today it’s difficult to believe how different my school was, although I imagine it’s changed now; perhaps it’s moved into this century!  Which gives me an idea. Perhaps we ought to hold a retro day. Yes, I’ll suggest it to the other staff members and the headmaster.


I’m glad I saw that picture now. Thanks Magpie!


14 comments:

  1. From memory l Serge Gingham was a well endowed spitfire pilot who was shot down by his own wingman over the english channel , bailed out and was never seen again !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You learn something every day, and as the school looked out over the channel we should have been told!

      Delete
  2. A delightful, sagacious look at the past..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woo, that's a complicated word! We certainly wore saggy britches!

      Delete
  3. Yes those gym knickers...ugh!!...I see a picture of Roedean..I drove past it yesterday! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well spotted I didn't name the school in case they sued me!!!

      Delete
  4. Lovely memories evoked and I remember those gym shorts - ours were green!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amazing what we used to be "required" to wear! Certainly more freedom now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the UK school uniform is still compulsory from 6-16 years. It's a little more fashionable now though!

      Delete
  6. I must admit my gym shorts were usually green once blue and uniforms was not a part of my public schooling, but oh the fond memories of childhood, this was a wonderful port of great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too remember a uniform that insisted on those walking sacks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ill admit that I dont usually read anything but poetry on these things but theres something "fun?" about how you write that is just pleasant to read. haha. I think your name suits you. Pinkerton. Fun to say.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My gym uniform was a one-piece with snaps...sea foam green...

    ReplyDelete